What to do with your fish when you clean the aquarium?
Performing a regular and correct cleaning of the aquarium is essential to maintain the health of our fish. However, lack of experience can lead to important mistakes.
A Unlike other pets, the care of the fish does not require such an 'active' dedication, and it is precisely this factor that generates forgetfulness or the practice of a little exhaustive cleaning.
In the same way, too frequent water change is not ideal for the life of fish , since it eliminates the nitrifying bacteria necessary for the correct maintenance of the aquarium's biological cycle.
Cleaning tips of the aquarium
- Get used to not remove the fish while changing the water . Although there is a popular belief that proposes the transfer of animals to another container; The truth is that the stress generated or possible mechanical damage in this practice makes it more advisable to avoid it.
- Water renewal is partial in order to control the levels of nitrites and ammonia. The percentage of water extracted will depend on the frequency with which it is carried out. Thus, the weekly changes will mean a renewal of 10% of the total capacity of the aquarium; those made every 15 days of 15% and monthly cleanings of 25 to 30%.
In general, it is advisable to change the water every two weeks, since delaying it to a month means the manipulation of larger volumes of water, which alters the beneficial bacteria of the aquarium. For this, it is advisable to have a siphon that by means of a plastic tube allows to remove the necessary water , at the same time that the substrate of the tank is cleaned. p>
- Once the necessary water has been removed, proceed to clean the decorative elements (plants, rocks or other objects). In the case of ornaments, whenever they show any signs of dirt they must be removed to be disinfected with a mixture of water and 10% bleach. As for the plants, you must remove both the detached parts and those that are in poor condition and clean with a special scraper those that have stuck to the crystals.
Each of these actions must be carried out carefully: avoid removing the gravel from the bottom that would contribute to the increase of suspended particles.
- When replacing the extracted water , the most advisable thing is to take the corresponding volume and to treat it previously with a dechlorinator that eliminates the chlorine and rest of impurities present. However, in the case of its absence, it can be obtained directly from the tap and left to stand for approximately one hour.
Both in one option and in another a specialized conditioning of the water , which includes the nitrifying bacteria necessary for the proper biological cycle of the aquarium. It is also necessary to make sure that the temperature of the water is rather warm.
Once ready, the water will be added little by little to generate the minimum stress possible to the fish. Turning off the lights of the aquarium can contribute to this objective.
- Every 15 days or every month, always avoiding that it coincides with the water renewal described, the filter should be cleaned of the aquarium.However, there is always a need for prior advice to avoid species incompatibility.